Think your “healthy” packaged food products contain REAL food? Think again.
Thanks to the work of food ingredient sleuths like Food Babe, Lisa Leake from 100 Days of Real Food, Environmental Working Group, Cornucopia Institute and more, the food manufacturers have been cleaning up their products.
But, the junky ingredients still lurk in unexpected places. Masked by promising health claims on the package, many products with gross, FAKE ingredients are still finding their way into your pantry.
The FAKE ingredients in our favorite convenience foods
are linked to a host of health issues facing our children from allergies and asthma
to diabetes and attention and mood disorders.
The worst part – manufacturers sneak junky ingredients into “healthy products” that are marketed to kids!! I’m not talking Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and Goldfish which are clearly FAKE food. I’m talking about products we grew up trusting. Products we think are wholesome and healthy for our families. Like oatmeal, low sugar cereals, yogurt, cheese, whole wheat or whole grain bread and crackers, granola bars and more.
You may have heard about the FAKE additives below,
but did you know they’re in America’s favorite wholesome products:
Artificial colors like red 40, yellow 6, blue 1
- Linked to asthma and allergy response
- Find them in kids’ yogurt, frozen yogurt, cereal, OTC medicines, fruit snacks
Preservatives like trisodium phosphate, BHT, potassium sorbate, sodium diacetate, sodium citrate, calcium propionate and more
- Linked to attention disorders, asthma, allergies, cancer and more (varies by preservative)
- Find them in taco shells, oatmeal, low sugar cereal, 100% beef hot dogs, oatmeal, whole wheat bread and crackers, kids’ yogurt
- Linked to attention and mood disorders, allergies and thyroid dysfunction
- Find them in oatmeal, fruit juice, fruit snacks
Highly processed, genetically modified oils and partially hydrogenated oils like canola, sunflowers, and soybean oils
- Linked to increased risk in heart disease, obesity, diabetes and more
- Find them in cereal bars, whole wheat bread and crackers
You must be thinking h#$*t I have to get to my pantry FAST.
Yes. you do. But, hold on, there’s a few more things.
Though the ingredients above are the ickiest, most concerning ones to search for in your pantry…
There’s FIVE more ingredients most people scan past without worry.
They don’t look very scary.
They sound kind of familiar.
You might even say they sound REAL.
But they’re not.
These ingredients are disguised to make you think they’re fine and normal. When in reality, they are FAKE!
- Enriched wheat flour is milled wheat that’s been stripped of all vitamins and fiber and then fortified with synthetic vitamins to make it seem healthy. Find it in most packaged wheat products
- Carrageenan is a natural food additive made from seaweed that’s been linked to gastrointestinal issues including colon cancer. Find it in dairy, alternative dairy products and cereal bars
- Caramel color is highly processed food coloring made by combining heat, sugar and acids. There are four different classes of caramel coloring; the most dangerous called 4-methylimidazole (4-MEI) is on California’s list of possible carcinogens. Find in breads and sauces
- Soy Protein Isolate or Whey Protein Isolate is a food ingredient that’s been separated or isolated from soybeans (soy) or milk (whey). Once separated these ingredients are no longer REAL food as they are stripped of their naturally occurring nutrients and lead to health risks. Find in protein powders, packaged “healthy” snacks
- Annatto – a natural food coloring made of seeds from a tropical plant that’s coming under controversy as many individuals have indicated allergic reactions. Find in yogurt, cheese and wheat crackers
These ugly FAKE ingredients in your wholesome packaged foods are lurking, you just need to look on the ingredient label to find them.
A.C.T. (Action Changes Things)
Finding REAL food takes bravery, strength and support from community, like us!
It’s time to ACT!
Find your wholesome favorites and scan the ingredient list.
Find any junky ingredients? Ingredients you don’t recognize?
Toss them one at a time.
It’s not easy to toss old favorites. When your family’s health depends on it, I know you’ll get there – be BRAVE.
Tell me what you found in the comments below.
Need a REAL food swap, I’m happy to share!
To live, love and REAL food,
P.S. Want a simple way to find packaged food that’s REAL?